Thursday 4 October 2007

Brew Session 001 - My First Brew



On Saturday 29th September I did my first All Grain brew session. I attempted an American style Pale Ale, but as I attempted to develop my own receipe I will have to wait to see what comes out.





The receipe I came up with is as follows.

Ingredients.

Maris Otter - 7lb
Pearl Malt - 3lb
Caramunich Malt - 5oz
Crystal Malt - 5oz
Aromatic Malt - 5oz

Hops - All East Kent Goldings

1.5oz - 60mins
1oz - 15mins
1.5oz - flameout (0mins)

The brew went reasonable well for a first attempt. I hit the mash temp of 153oF perfectly and lost no more than 1 degree over the 1hour mash. Unfortunatly due to measuring problems I do not know what volume of water to grain was in the mash.

Also another porblem was I forgot to add the 5.2ph stabaliser to the mash until 10minutes in.

I also mis-calucated the amount of water needed in the HLT so after sparging with all the water vailble I only ended up with 5 UK gallons in the boiler pre boil. Pre-boil gravity was 1.041. Due to the low starting volume, boil off and the gallon lost to the bottom of the boiler I only ended up with just short of 3 gallons in the fermentor at a gravity of 1.054. Fermenting with Dry Yeast Safale US05 with I rehydrated prior to pitching. The wort was oxygenated for 30 minutes in the fermentor using a aquarium pump with a hepa filter attached to a stainless steel airstome.

However, I am happy with the overall result for a first attept. For future brew I need better control over the volumes of water in the containers, and ensure I have more water in the HLT that I need.

Only time will tell as to how the receipe turns out.

No comments: